Thursday, December 23, 2010

Deliciously Simple

     We can always count on mom's sweet potato pie to be rich, sweet and gone in a heart beat.  It's quite difficult, if at all possible just to eat one slice. They are tempting and mouth watering.  If she is in a good mood, mom will cook a few extra pies for the taking.  This Christmas, I decided to use mom's recipe to make our own sweet potato pies with my daughter.
      "Is that it?" was my first reaction to mom's recipe.  The most difficult part of the recipe was converting mom's "a little of this and a little of that" to actual measurements.  She doesn't use any measuring cups or spoons, just memory as with her homemade biscuits that I have been trying for years to formulate a recipe.
      Like with most things, I added my own twist.  Instead of using canned milk,  I used whipping cream. Other than taking the pies out a little too early, making the pies was unbelievably simple.