Monday, April 4, 2011

A Simple Song and Dance

     Lately, dinner has consisted of packaged, quick and on the go meals.  Chicken nuggets, boxed macaroni and cheese, hamburgers, etc. A few nights ago, I made the time to prepare a long overdue home cooked meal.  Rice and gravy, stewed chicken and baby carrots cooked in cinnamon, butter and brown sugar were on the menu. While I was preparing the vegetables and flour for the gravy, I noticed a change in the kids’ mood.  Instead of tormenting each other and complaining about their homework, they were moving about the house singing and dancing.   At first, I heard humming.  But while I was giving the rice its second rinse like mom taught me years ago, I heard my son singing words to his own simple melody, ‘We’re going to eat good tonight, eat good tonight, woohoo.’  I knew then that the sudden outbreak of song and rhythms  were inspired by the aroma of onions, garlic and peppers sautéing in my great-grandmothers Dutch Oven skillet.